Saturday, September 13, 2008

First Day of School...





Trevor and Jackson started Sure Start yesterday. For those that don't know what it is, it's a lot like Head Start. It's for kids that are at risk for being delayed in Kindergarten due to many different factors. There are only 18 spots for this base, and both boys made it in. I was really surprised and ecstatic at the same time!! So they have been waiting for over two weeks to "go to school". They both got up on their own bright and bushy tailed, ready to go at the crack of dawn. If you know my boys, they are like me and we NEVER wake early. I'm just a little bit of a night owl.

So we got them off to school and then of course, I get a call from the school nurse concerning MY child on the FIRST day of school... Trevor was galluping and planted face first into the sidewalk. He got a good bump on the noggin and some nice scratches and bruises to go along with it. Trevor is my child that likes to use his head to impact hard objects. It seems to be a major talent of his in the last couple of years. I'm beginning to think that I have a football player in the making. What makes this so ironic, is that we had a discussion with the school nurse earlier this week that she doesn't call home for every bumped head.. and they had a lot of them yesterday. Anyway, Turbo, as I like to call him, is fine and took it like a real trooper.

So on our way home, I asked the boys what their favorite part of the day was. They kind of hemmed and hawed, and couldn't really come up with anything. It was like trying to pry open a door with a crowbar. Finally, Jackson told me he liked snack time. Which doesn't surprise me at all. He likes to eat. ALL. THE. TIME. I can't believe he's not bigger than he is because he's always hungry and wanting something more to eat. So Trevor then spouted out that his favorite activity was clean up time. This came as a true surprise because he fights me tooth and nail when it comes to his toys. I prodded a little more, and he said he likes it because, "Ms. B turned out the lights and yells FREEZE!!! really loud and I like that!!" He cracks me up!!

You know, I really struggled with sending them to school this year. They only have one more year until they HAVE to go to school, and I felt like I was robbing them of part of their childhood. I wanted to keep them at home with me for a little longer, but yet at the same time, it's become a harsh reality as of late that I can't be everything to my kids. After much encouragement (Thank you Mom!!), I felt that they should go, and I knew that they would love it. The other thing I love about this program is that it's not like regular school. It's completely self-guided. The kids can be in any work center that peaks their interest, whether it be computers or science or drawing, whatever it may be. So Jackson spent time doing puzzles today and Trevor got to draw. They will also have different "jobs" at school, like feeding the animals (they have LOTS of them) or watering the plants, etc. The other thing they do, is what they call "family style dining". All the kids sit down together and serve themselves out of a big bowl, and they "eat as a family". I LOVE it. Jackson came home after school and I gave them a snack, and he came up to me and gave me a big hug and thank you. It melted my heart that my little boy went out of his way and took the time to recognize that I did something for him.

I am so grateful everyday that Heavenly Father saw fit to bless me with two miracles, even when I was trying hard to prevent them. He didn't just bless me, He double blessed me!!

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP